Re: [LI] Downgrading pppd & lpd??

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Jeffrey Yep wrote:

> It seems the lpd in RH 6.1 has problems too. It doesn't detect my parallel
> port whereas lpd in RH 6.0 detected it easily. As most of you know pppd in
> RH 6.1 also is causing problems.

I am currently connected using a standard "everything" install off the PCQ
November CD (the production one taken from a magazine, *not* a gold
master). Neither pppd nor lpd give any problems at all. I just printed out
the masters for our seminar courseware on the same machine.

I need to point out something everyone is missing pretty seriously - there
are thousands of people who have installed off the PCQ November CD who
have had no problems whatsoever. I myself have installed dozens of
machines since we created that CD, and at Bangalore IT.COM we had bunches
of them running (22 to be exact), and all but a few were installed off the
PCQ November 99 CD.

I would suggest everyone wake up and stop "calling the world mad, while
you are the only sane ones". The complaints a *FEW* people here have are
isolated in nature and are negligible compared to the thousands of
successful installs all over the world. PCQ itself is being *flooded* with
successful installation reports.

Make no mistake about it - if there is a problem with the CD, I'll be the
first to admit it. I know what the issues with *some* of the SiS6215c
installs are, and am documenting them. I have also posted the solution to
the SiS6326 problems. I have also advised people to do the text based
install instead of the graphical one - less problems and *much* faster.

But there are *no* problems with either pppd or lpd (that would cause the
problems you are describing).

If everyone here bitching away would stop and think for a moment, you will
realise that most of the complaints are clearly configuration issues. For
example, I just checked one "complainant's" machine (where his lpd wasn't
working) and found that the parallel port was set to Auto mode in the
BIOS. This worked under RHL 6.0 because of the way devices were (brutally)
being probed there, but not under 6.1. The answer was to set the BIOS to
EPP mode for the parallel port, and the problem disappeared. This will
probably *not* be the solution for everyone, but it highlights the issue -
the problem was not because of RHL 6.1 but because of a system misconfig.

Take the example of the guy who sent me private email calling me a
"microserf" because we "intentionally" gave a corrupted java tar ball on
the CD. Did he run pcqupdt as instructed in the magazine? Oh no - he ran
"tar xvf" on the tarball, and it naturally didn't work. gunzip didn't work
either. Naturally not - the file is bzip2 compressed, and our script (if
you would deign to use it) installs it just fine (even installs bzip2 for
you if it wasn't installed to begin with).

Similarly, there will be other issues. One guy who bitched his head off to
me on the phone finally realised that his display card had only 1 MB of
RAM on it, which is why he couldn't do 1024x768x24bits as his friend was
able to do. And then he had the audacity to tell me that "I am able to get
1024x768x24bits under Windows"!

Yeah, right. With 1 MB of display memory. :-\

Another one cribbed about his "orginal Creative Sound card" not working,
until he discovered that his vendor had given him one of those cheapo
Yamaha cards instead.

If there was something wrong with the CD, *EVERYONE* here would get
affected. But many of us (in fact *most* of us) have no problems at all!

Added to that the CD is *not* very different from the original RedHat 6.1
CD. We did not remove any libraries or packages (other than the foreign
language documentation). Nor did we make any changes (other than a splash
screen in the graphical install) to the installation process.

If the CD isn't technically different from RedHat's stuff, and if
God-knows how many people have installed it worldwide, and if the
newsgroups and lists are silent about the issues you are cribbing about,
what does that tell you?

I am not saying that your problems aren't genuine. Just understand that it
is entirely possible that the problem is *your* fault instead of the our
CD's! (Of course, that is *not* possible - after all, how can *you* be at
fault? :-\)

Atul