Re: [LI] Downgrading pppd & lpd??

Dear Atul,
    Regarding PCQ Distrib. It  is working fine on most people's PC to whom i
have personally mailed. Offline from the list. The main reason in many
system as you said was some system configuration. However the point remians
that if I have to get technical info about probing of ports etc. from BIOS
my non-techie friends wouldn't touch linux. Already I am having a tough time
convincing a person who has installed linux from not removing it.
Don't say that let him uninstall linux. We have the resposiblity of
initiating the people into Linux :)
    Another thing I have personally seen that Replacing the
XFree68-SVGA*.rpm distributed with RH 6.1 by one in 6.0 Solves the SiS 6215
problem. (in Six !!!! pcs) so tell me how is that possible (Becos of
hardware probing) I think not.
    Anyway i would never say that PCQ didn't do a fine job. But tweaking has
to be reduced considerably after installation to have a non-techie guy
install linux on his machine.
    Another suggestion we could start a documentation project for these
tweaks especially suited to the indian needs and put it up on the net. This
would considerably reduce an indian users problems. Whenever we come up with
a solution we could put it up there and give the newbie a url instead of
saying search the archives. It could also host scripts etc. to automate
tasks for newbie's. They can always get to tweaking later.
    Anybody interested - Nagarjuna, Sandesh, Kishore, Atul, Arun etc. what
sez you.

regards
Aditya Deshpande