Re: [LI] Downgrading pppd & lpd?? - Atul

Hi Atul,

----- Original Message -----
From: Atul Chitnis <achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Jeffrey Yep wrote:
>
> > It seems the lpd in RH 6.1 has problems too. It doesn't detect my
parallel
> > port whereas lpd in RH 6.0 detected it easily. As most of you know pppd
in
> > RH 6.1 also is causing problems.

Yes, I apologize for my poor choice of words. I guess instead of blaming PCQ
or RH for the problems I should have asked for a solution instead.

> I would suggest everyone wake up and stop "calling the world mad, while
> you are the only sane ones". The complaints a *FEW* people here have are
> isolated in nature and are negligible compared to the thousands of
> successful installs all over the world. PCQ itself is being *flooded* with
> successful installation reports.
Oh my installation was successful! No hangups just these two problems are
causing me to virtually stop most of my work on Linux. I'm having to revert
back to my Windows or I have to switch on my other m/c which has Windows and
send the print job through that which is basically wastage of electricity
for me.

> But there are *no* problems with either pppd or lpd (that would cause the
> problems you are describing).
Then could you tell me where I could've gone wrong? I followed the PCQ Mar
1999 issue as regards connecting to the net and the scripts are all right
and I've set up kppp with its accounts etc. properly and my DNS had been
setup by the PCQ 5.2. I did search a bit more (after your lambasting at me
with the jabs, uppercuts and lowercuts ;-)) and realized that I had very
conveniently not followed one step i.e. 'cp /etc/named.conf
/etc/named.conf.online'. But even then pppd dies after connecting. I tried
fiddling with the ppp0 interface by running netcfg and still nothing. As for
lpd well I read the Printing-HOW-TO, Printing-Usage-HOW-TO, man lpd. I
discovered few things which I'm not sure whether they could be the cause of
lpd not detecting the parallel port on my system:-

1) cat /proc/devices doesn't show lp anywhere

2) cat /proc/modules shows(I've given a part of it)
    parport-probe    2980   0   (autoclean)  (unused)
    lp                       4476   0   (autoclean)  (unused)
    parport              7124    0   (autoclean)  [parport-probe lp]

3) cat /proc/ioports doesn't show either 0378 or 0278 or 03bc for lp
So what I did was add this line to the lilo.conf 'append =
"lp=0x278,5,0x378,7,0x3bc,7"
But still nothing and still no entries of lp in any of the files I've
mentioned above.

> example, I just checked one "complainant's" machine (where his lpd wasn't
> working) and found that the parallel port was set to Auto mode in the
> BIOS. The answer was to set the BIOS to
> EPP mode for the parallel port, and the problem disappeared. This will
> probably *not* be the solution for everyone, but it highlights the issue -
> the problem was not because of RHL 6.1 but because of a system misconfig.

Well I the value given was SPP and I tried every combination, SPP, EPP/SPP,
ECP/EPP but zilch. I even tried combinations with the I/O ports but nothing
happened.

> I am not saying that your problems aren't genuine. Just understand that it
> is entirely possible that the problem is *your* fault instead of the our
> CD's! (Of course, that is *not* possible - after all, how can *you* be at
> fault? :-\)
>
> Atul
Please tell me where I'm wrong then? ;-) I want someone to actually tell me.
You'll find me a very accomodating person and one who admits if the mistake
is his. I actually have no hassles but I again apologize for having put my
problem across in very accusing words. Blame it on my frustration for not
having pppd and lpd work! ;-) ("Excuses! Bah!Thats what they all say!",I can
hear Atul say that).;-) Please somebody help! :-(

Sorry for this long email but I thought I had to apologize and explain my
predicament properly.

Thanks,
Jeff