Re: Linux security features

> What feature are you talking about? I am not very clear from the above
> para ...  It is funny about how you mention using DNS and DHCP
> together. They are both an antithesis of each other ... DHCP gives
> dynamic addresses, while DNS relies on static addresses. To allow DNS
> to work reliably you would have to hardcode the IP addresses of the
> servers whose addresses you would have to serve. Of course, I am only
> talking of simple DNS servers - not round robin load balancing ones.
This is something that i am trying to tell you. With win2k ddns and dhcp
server, what you can do is as follows:
1. Set up a linux computer, and give it a hostname which is in your win2k
dns domain
(i.e if u hav a dns domain of   linux.com, name your system linuxbox and
give the domain linux.com)
2. Change a setting in the network config (on a rhl system this works!) to
publish your hostname to the dhcp server (I don't remember the actual
system, but there is one line to do this!)

Now when you boot up your linux machine, the dhcp will assign you a ip
address from it's address pool (till now it is normal...) and then if u
enable your dhcp server to perform a dns update, then you will find a new
host in your dns list, with the hostname of your dhcp client and the
dynamically assigned ip address...

The magical thing is that the dns server is updated on the fly, and the
change is immediate! So now if u access the machine by its hostname, the dns
server will always resolve to the correct dynamically assigned ip address.
When the dhcp lease expires, the dns entry is also removed. This thing is
one of the coolest features on win2k, and i switched my lan's dns server
from bind to linux for this feature alone! With bind on linux (at least last
time i checked) this is not possible.

Bye,