Re: [LI] Sound Advice

Manish Joshi wrote:
> Hi guys(gals?),

High hopes! [No MCPism intended]

> I am a digest subscriber..and a Linux newbie in almost every sense...

We will be more than happy to season you :) in almost every sense :-P

> The problem is that although I get sound in Win, there is none in Linux. The
> applications say -'you must compile sound support into the kernel'. I have
> already enabled sound support in the Gnome config.

That is good. You are talking about sound-server startup. Fine.
Application level thing sorted out. Now come to hardware.

> Although I have run sndconfig as root, it behaved strangly . After running
> it, it detects the card correctly, gives the name, and prompts for OK. After
> that it just *hangs*.

Are you absolutely sure that the card is detected CORRECTLY?

> Sndconfig advises to exit XWindows before running it. I do this by pressing
> Ctrl-Alt-F1. Is this right?

No. Exiting X will mean stopping the Xserver which is already running,
and not switching to a virtual console which gives you text display...
So you must quit from the server by logouting there [coined a new word].
Ctrl_alt_bksp will also work.
And you will be thrown to a new shell. Work there.

> Can this be the problem?

Pata nahin. But my tip for closing down the xserver is 100% authentic.

> Also if you may, how to
> get back from a terminal session to X? Typing 'X' says that Xserver is
> already running.

Right. This should make sense now. X _is_ running. Get back there using
alt-F7

All the best, manish.