[LI] Sound Advice

Hi guys(gals?),
I am a digest subscriber..and a Linux newbie in almost every sense...
Anyways, I have installed RH6.1 on my P200 MMX, coexisting with Win, using
LILO at boot.
I have an AZTEC 2320 PnP sndcard.
The problem is that although I get sound in Win, there is none in Linux. The
applications say -'you must compile sound support into the kernel'. I have
already enabled sound support in the Gnome config.
Although I have run sndconfig as root, it behaved strangly . After running
it, it detects the card correctly, gives the name, and prompts for OK. After
that it just *hangs*. A couple of times, I was forced to *reboot*. Another
time it just ended as if nothing had happened. The sound did not come on.
Sndconfig advises to exit XWindows before running it. I do this by pressing
Ctrl-Alt-F1. Is this right? Can this be the problem? Also if you may, how to
get back from a terminal session to X? Typing 'X' says that Xserver is
already running.
Thanks for reading till here
Manish Joshi