Re: [LI] linux/win

> > RAM - 64 Mb at 100 Hz SD
> i understand that ram prices have shot up but if u can afford it go for
> 128 mb

Thanks to Taiwan bhookamp! Another friend suggested the same. If we bar gaming on
the machine, will I still need 128 Mb? Many off the shelf PCs still carry the same
32 Mb RAM..
please tell me.

> why go for a card which is not compatible off the box .... go for a
> trigent AGP which is very well supported by linux :)

Cool. I heard that Trident gives some problems like flickering etc after a while,
say a year or so. What does your experience say?

> > CD - Samsung 40x
> the best according to me....

I thought 48x would make noise as well as probably wear out faster... was I right?

> > 1. Will it be sufficient to partition the HDD first and then install Linux
> > over one?
> that is how u are supposed to install it :)

tehehehe :-)

> u need not be in root to access the win 95 drive
> and u need not install lilo in MBR .... instead install lilo in first
> sector of ur
> linux partition and use loadlin as lilo will be removed from MBR by
> win95 when u
> reinstall it ( which u will atlest once in two months )

Fine. Had it been win NT 4, what would be the case of read/write by Linux on Win
drive?

> any AGP card  is the dream card for games and video but u have not
> mentioned the
> processor on which all this is very much dependent.... with ur present
> config and
> the price u have quoted .... u must be getting a Pentium celeron
> processor at 350
> Mhz ( due to high cost of RAM ) which will give u a very good
> performance...

I am taking a P-2 400, does it change the picture?
Rohit
                        To be a rock and not to roll...
                                                        -LZ/Plant