Re: [LI] linux/win

Rohit wrote:

> Good morning one and all,
> This is a newbie from a software firm. I had been in IIT for my education
> and [no that is not the claim to fame or something] that was where I was
> first familiarised with this list. Glad to be in.
>
> I am buying a machine [choosing configuration myself] as follows..
>
> HDD - samsung 8Gb 7000+ rpm
> go for a seagate hdd.... its much faster and less error prone

> RAM - 64 Mb at 100 Hz SD

i understand that ram prices have shot up but if u can afford it go for
128 mb

> Motherboard VIAbx at 100 Hz
> Video RAM - SiS / AGP 8 Mb

why go for a card which is not compatible off the box .... go for a
trigent AGP
which is very well supported by linux :)

> CD - Samsung 40x

the best according to me....

> Sound- Yamaha ST

very good support from linux

> I plan to install Win95 and RH Linux 6. Following are the queries..
>
> 1. Will it be sufficient to partition the HDD first and then install Linux
> over one?

that is how u are supposed to install it :)

> 2. I believe in such LILO partitions, the Win95 side can not read Linux
> partition but the Linux partition can read/write on Win95, when run as root.
> Am I right?

u need not be in root to access the win 95 drive
and u need not install lilo in MBR .... instead install lilo in first
sector of ur
linux partition and use loadlin as lilo will be removed from MBR by
win95 when u
reinstall it ( which u will atlest once in two months )

> 3. I could install Win NT 4 on the windows partition but I believe that Linux
> can not securely and safely share the NTFS. The idea was to leave 3 Gb on
> Linux side and keep development work on the Win partition itself so that the
> files are accessible to both the operating systems. NT was preferred for
> security and stability reasons. Please clarify if the NT and Linux can be
> installed so as to enable Linux r/w on the win partition?

i think this problem must be rectified by now... somebody else will get
back to
you :)

> 4. For 41k rupees, will this configuration run games, occasionally,
> Sound/graphics/movies  at full resolution and support fast working on GIMP? Or
> should I go for a more powerful system.

any AGP card  is the dream card for games and video but u have not
mentioned the
processor on which all this is very much dependent.... with ur present
config and
the price u have quoted .... u must be getting a Pentium celeron
processor at 350
Mhz ( due to high cost of RAM ) which will give u a very good
performance...

> I understand that all of my questions may not be best suited to this
> environment, but I need help. If this/such questions have already been
> answered, I am sorry to repeat.

bye
chetu