RHL 7.0 kernel compiles. bit shakey

RHL 7.0 kernel 2.2.16 initialy would not compile. The problem seems to be
with gcc. It appears that the root of the matter lies in smp.h not compiling
with gcc ( some bug in gcc ) . I'am running a single cpu intel desktop type
of comp. I turned off smp support in kernel config but the problem was still
there. I modified smp.h and removed the smp code needed if ur comp has smp
enabled and kept the single cpu part ( smp_num_cpu = 1  its a foldback ). It
would still not compile so I removed the include gaurd and it finally
compiled . I now have a pretty small kernel 300K . Trouble is that my hard
disk undergoes a reset every now and then.
some times I can continue working after it happens and sometimes I cannot.
Is there something wrong with the new kernel coz this does not happen in
windows. Rest of it is fine with X windows running smoothly.

Vivek