Re: Experience the New Windows

Hi,

[...]

    Anand> development and similar things. Then you will know.  If you
    Anand> are an individual you will end up using some pirated
    Anand> development environment system. The thought will be

	   Okay, this is a crass generalisation that I refuse to agree
with. I know a couple people who to this day do not use any commercial
software for which they have not paid. Well, fact remains that the
windows front-end to many an utility is _way_ better than the
equivalent on Linux. (No - I'm not into hot-headed Linux-bashing - As
a matter of  fact, I do not have an installation of windows on any of
the machines that I use) It is simple. Please do not try to project
Linux like it is the answer to everybody's problems. It isn't
true. While it is very real that Linux surpasses other OS-es on many
fronts, it is also true that it lacks on certain fronts.(eg. MS Word
is "more user-friendly" (tm) [ I gauge this with how the older
generation people - 50+ year olds that I know tackle MS Word, and
*EFFECTIVELY* generate a .doc as opposed to running Star Office, and
generating docs which aren't compatible with the rest of the universe,
and so on.] - Yeah, I know comparing an OS with a text editor is
unfair, but its what the common man does and sees. Common questions
that I receive are NOT something like - "Will my apache httpd run as
stable on Linux, as it does on Windows?!" but they are more like -
"Can I run Word on Linux? - Are there alternatives?") In many aspects,
Linux (Is it really _that_ broad a generalisation?) is still pretty
unusable.

[...]

    Anand> To be honest, I find it quite difficult to use Windows, as
    Anand> I am used to working in Linux. It just takes some time and
    Anand> effort but it is worth it!

	   Precisely - But just the fact that you and I prefer Linux
any day to Windows doesn't really make it easier to use for the
common man.

       -ravi.