[LI] Problems in recompiling kernel

Hi,

We have loaded RH 5.2 on our machine.

We want to recompile the kernel after changing some parameters.
As a rehearsal to that we recompiled the kernel without changing
anything
To do this we executed the following steps
-- make menuconfig and save the changes (without making any changes)
-- make dep
-- make clean
-- make bzImage

After which we compared the bzImage file size with /boot/vmlinuz... file
size.
Much to our surprise we found the the file sizes don't match !! bzImage
is less
than vmlinuz by about 4K bytes

Moreover when we went ahead and copied this bzImage to find that machine
hangs on
reboot... immediately after loading linux.

Can somebody please help.

Thanks in Advance.

Bye,

Kimi