Re: [LI] Problems in recompiling kernel

----- Original Message -----
From: Kimi <kimi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LI] Problems in recompiling kernel

| We have loaded RH 5.2 on our machine.

    no problem.

| We want to recompile the kernel after changing some parameters.
| As a rehearsal to that we recompiled the kernel without changing
| anything
| To do this we executed the following steps
| -- make menuconfig and save the changes (without making any changes)
| -- make dep
| -- make clean
| -- make bzImage

    u should also compile and install the modules by the following
        make modules
        make modules_install

| After which we compared the bzImage file size with /boot/vmlinuz... file
| size.
| Much to our surprise we found the the file sizes don't match !! bzImage
| is less
| than vmlinuz by about 4K bytes

    It should be as the bzImage is more compressed kernel.

| Moreover when we went ahead and copied this bzImage to find that machine
| hangs on
| reboot... immediately after loading linux.

    ur m/c is hanged because u haven't correctly configured the
/etc/lilo.conf file.
    The exact procedure is
        do copy ur bzImage file to /boot
        configure the /etc/lilo.conf file to boot with that bzImage
        do lilo -v
    Thats all.