Re: [LI] Problems in recompiling kernel

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have loaded RH 5.2 on our machine.
>
> We want to recompile the kernel after changing some parameters.
> As a rehearsal to that we recompiled the kernel without changing
> anything
> To do this we executed the following steps
> -- make menuconfig and save the changes (without making any changes)
> -- make dep
> -- make clean
> -- make bzImage
>
> After which we compared the bzImage file size with /boot/vmlinuz... file

1)If you changed the modules list : did you do make modules_install
2) Did you run lilo after copying bzImage over ?
3) It is very possible if you added a mod to the kernel
I have also learnt that the compilation process can
produce slightly different sizes of binaries (only slightly) depending on the
state of the box and memory available etc any thoughts on this people ?

you may have to boot with rescue and run lilo again.

Thanks
sathya