Re: [LI] Problems in recompiling kernel

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 07:35:33PM +0530, Kimi wrote:

> We have loaded RH 5.2 on our machine.

> We want to recompile the kernel after changing some parameters.
> As a rehearsal to that we recompiled the kernel without changing
> anything
> To do this we executed the following steps
> -- make menuconfig and save the changes (without making any changes)

One of my long-standing rants against Red Hat has been that when
you install their kernel source RPM, it doesn't include the
".config" file that they used to build the kernel they shipped.

In other words, your "default" kernel is probably missing a lot of
stuff that RedHat's shipping kernel has.  (If they had included
their ".config" then make menuconfig would have picked it up and
your "default" would be the RedHat default).

I'm afraid the only way to even practice is to actually go into
the menuconfig and go thru each item, marking it Y (or M) if you
need it.  Don't think of this as a chore - set some time aside
(about 30 minutes) for it and think of it as an exploration of all
the cool things the kernel has builtin.  It's very instructive to
read the short help blurbs on some of those options, too!

Also, you may want to do
    make modules
    make modules_install
at the end.