Re: [LI] Laptop Woes

Gurunandan R. Bhat forced the electrons to say:

> I am planning to buy a Laptop but cannot afford a high end one
> (Thinkpads/Compaq etc.) Could you advise me on ACI laptops and other
> options in the 50-60K region? Are they robust? Is good support available
> in India? Who are their dealers?

So far as robustness goes, the only problem I had with mine so far is that one
fine morning the CD drive stopped functioning.

Linux runs fine on the laptop, but I haven't been able to get sounds in linux.
Windows can play sounds. As I am not too keen on sounds, that has not worried
me too much. All the other hardware (CD drive, modem) work fine on both the
OSes.

One thing - it has separate CD and floppy drives. One some other laptops (eg:
HP notebook) you have to remove the CD drive to insert the floppy drive.

I am not yet too acquainted with the touchpad that serves as the mouse,
though. It irritates me :-)

I have had it only for about two months, so if I face any problems, I will
report here.

I got mine from a firm called Asian Technologies in Bombay.

Binand

Arun Sharma forced the electrons to say:
> > But otherwise, ACI laptops are a good option to those intending to buy one.
> > They are cheap as well - 50 K for the machine (P 150) and 4 K for the
> > ethernet card.
>
> 4k == $100 ? I got my Eiger Labs EPX-10BT network card for $50 from CompUSA
> on sale about a year ago. Wish something like diamond homefree wireless
> networking kit ($150) worked with Linux.

Is this price (US $ 50) in India?

Binand

--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-