Re: [LI] Laptop Woes

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 05:27:53PM +0530, Binand Raj S. wrote:
> Well, I solved the problem with the help of a more knowledgeable
> colleague. I deleted the sole partition that linux fdisk was showing me,
> and partitioned the disk in the way I wanted, except that /dev/hda1 was
> kept as Win 95 FAT 32, and with exactly the same number of cylinders that
> Windows told me it had.

Good idea. It might also be a prudent to make a backup of the partition
table onto another machine. Once I was installing a 3rd OS on my box and
it screwed up the partition table and I had to restore the cylinder numbers
from my (human) memory and luckily it turned out to be right.

> One other problem was that my D-Link 660 ethernet adaptor was using up
> irq 3 (again by default). I changed it to 11 and now the in-built modem is
> also accessible. The default installation has another problem - pcmcia is
> started after network. You have to change the order to access the ethernet
> card (I manually edited the files /etc/rc.d/init.d/{pcmcia,network}).

I filed a bug on Redhat's bugzilla on this issue. But they closed it with
"can't reproduce". I think the way its intended to work is - network
runs first and fails. pcmcia runs later, detects the cards in the slot and
then runs /etc/pcmcia/network which has the same effect as init.d/network
(there are differences, but they are close enough).

> But otherwise, ACI laptops are a good option to those intending to buy one.
> They are cheap as well - 50 K for the machine (P 150) and 4 K for the
> ethernet card.

4k == $100 ? I got my Eiger Labs EPX-10BT network card for $50 from CompUSA
on sale about a year ago. Wish something like diamond homefree wireless
networking kit ($150) worked with Linux.

	-Arun