[LI] leased line and bandwidth testing

hello folks,
             my collegue sunit mathur is back from IT.COM i was happy to
see all those photographs epecially the one of Atul with TUX cute :), i
hope i was there i miss you all guys , any way the thing which has
stopped me from coming to IT.COM was this leased line of 64 kb, we have
taken this line from a private ISP, the intial experience in last one
week is horrible , somtimes it is 56 K on average other time it is just
3 K. This i tested using a Windows platform using a software by the name
Cybergauge20.This software monitored my WAN port on the router and gave
beautiful graphs. It uses SNMP protocol. I
Would like to know is it the general way of testing line speed.
any way adding to the plight when it works well all the guys in the
office are so Happy they do there work on time and push off. But When it
trickles its disgusting. What I want to know is is there any software on
Linux using which i can trouble shoot whats going on is there something
wrong at our end or at ISP end . ISP has all the suggestions as usual
asked us to install a BOX with caching DNS server , then our internal
network uses squid proxy for http requests so on and so forth. What i
want to know is are there any software available for testing the line
speed on the Wan port/Internal network. How do people generally test
line speeds in this kind of situations i am sure the people who have
been using LL for years by now they must have done this kind of exercise
at some point or other in past

please help

thanks and regards
s.goswami