Re: [LI] Help required on Linux

Akshara Technologies proclaimed:
> 1. Does Linux have an in-built RDBMS

Depends on what you mean by "in-built".  Linux is just a kernel (ie. the
core of the OS).  The GNU/Linux Operating syste, is the kernel bundled with
a whole bunch of useful applications, servers and clients.  Many RDBMS
"servers" are available for Linux.

> which supports intranet features and

I don't know what you mean by intranet features.  An RDBMS is an RDBMS.
Period.  Many companies use Linux to run their intranet print, file
sharing, web and DB servers.

> that can be accessed by a VB app that runs on a WIN95 node.

Many of the RDBMs on Linux are standards compliant.  If the Win 95 VB app
"client" uses something like ODBC to access the server then I have no doubt
that Linux will suit your needs.

> 2. Does the RDBMS have CLient Access Licenses just as MS-SQL Server has?

Linux is a free (in the sense that it gives you the freedom to do with
whatever you feel like) operating system.  And many of the RDBMS servers
are free in the same sense too.  A concept of client license (which is
ridiculous, in the first place) does not exist.

> 3. Is there a limit to the number of users that can access the database at
> any given point of time?

Expect for the hardware limitation on the number of users who can connect
to a RDBMS there is no deliberate disabling of thge RDBMS.

> 4. Can Dynamic WEB paes; pages that retrieve data from an RDBMS be hosted
> on LINUX. If so using which language?  I.e., can ASP be used?

Of course!  The Apache web server supports connecting the web server to
numerous RDBMS to serve dynamic content.

> 5. Can Linux be used on the server to allow users to dial in using a modem
> and their preferred browser to access data from the RDBMS stored on the
> Linux server.

Yes.

> 6. Do all the above features require separate software? If so are they free
> or do they have to be purchased?

Here are your choices:

Operating System:	Red Hat or Debian GNU/Linux
RDBMS (free):		PostgreSQL, MSQL and MySQL (the latter two are free for
personal use.  I am not sure.)
RDBMS (commercial):	Oracle, DB2, Informix, Sybase
Web Server:		Apache
Dynamic Content generation:	perl, PHP etc.

Thaths
--
"Ah... the morning horoscope. 'Today will be a day like every other day.'"
                      -- Homer J. Simpson