[Linux-India] PIII assembly on Linux

hello all,
i am trying to implement some PIII xmm instructions on RH6.0. I had
installed a patch to disable the cpuid and also to enable the simd
instructions to be recognised by the kernel. The following are the entries
found in the /proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : Pentium III (Katmai)
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 451.031072
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 3
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat p
se36 pn mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips        : 448.92

the problem is when ever i try to compile my code it gives me the
following error:
test.s: Assembler messages:
test.s:25: Error: operands given don't match any known 386 instruction

operands are the ones defined in intel manual for simd

suggestions would help me a lot

TIA
prakash
research assistant