[Linux-India] passwd file curroupted

Sorry I shouldn't use this list to solve my solaris problems. But please
reply if u know.

We have got a Sun Soloaris Ultra m/c in our n/w. I while editing the
/etc/passwd file happened to curroupt the root entry in the file. All
other accounts are working properly. Also the system is now frequently
flashing the error message "Missing or bad passwd entry for <root>". Also
doing su from a user login gives "Unknown id root".  I cant even see the
passwd file now because the default permissions were 400 which i restored
just after i edited it. The shadow passwd are enabled.
	Do we have  a single user mode etc the one we have in linux. I
dont know anything about it . This was the first time ever that i sat on a
sun m/c.
							-dip.