Re: END THIS THREAD NOW! Re: Viability of Linux companies

----- Original Message -----
From: "Atul Chitnis" <achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> This is turning into a BSD advocacy thread, with Linux-bashing overtones,
> which I suspect has been the primary purpose all along.

Yeah, instead of a GNU/GPL advocacy one which you would rather have, or a M$
bashing one which you would rather prefer. If you or/and all others
*clearly* put it up in the list rules that this is strictly a GNU/Linux list
and advocacy anything else is prohibited, *only* then do ask ppl advocating
anything else to get off. I am noting for quite a while that anything
non-GNU/non-GPL has always been , quite brashly, put down. This shows a very
disturbing trend among Linux loyalists, who are being extremely intolerant
of *anything* non-linux/non-gnu/gpl . They would rather spend weeks bashing
up M$, but can never take in a day or two of criticism of themselves, or
even pleadings of introspection.

Somehow, all these so-called GNU/Linux proponents have and and still are
spreading the impression that if you are in Linux land, whoever you may be,
you have to bow in front of GNU/GPL. So even if Guido comes out against GPL,
castigate him, and show his character in a poor light. Spread the word that
he is upto no good. Same with Larry Wall. Even if Linus himself has openly
come out against GPL(his exact words were something like "...unfortunate.
But I had no other option ..."), even drag him into mud. Read up the coding
conventions that come with every kernel source. It starts with "take the GNU
coding guides and burn them. It is a great gesture.". Denigrate them too.
Apache foundation stays away from anything GPL. Brand them evil.

PLEASE. If anything, you are blinding the newcomers. They grow up thinking
GNU/GPL is the only way to go. I am not saying that *BSD is the only other.
QPL, APL, Apache are other options. Do make others aware of them please. Let
them know theior purposes.

> I am majorly offended by the tone being used and the thinly (if at all)
> disguised intentions of dragging anything Linux through the dirt. There is
> nothing Linux about this discussion.

'scuse me?

> Arun speaks about politics that offend him in the Linux world, but he
> himself is resorting to massive politics here, which is something we can
> all do without.

There is a difference between politics and advocacy, which you have
conveniently mixed up. The only thing you are asked to do, is to listen to
the arguments objectively, instead of being colored in your philosophies.

> All those who agree that this is an unhealthy thread - please stop
> responding to it starting *now*, no matter how much you think you could
> gain for Linux.

Are you trying to bully down a good discussion, after you have run out of
points??? If you can, counter the arguments with facts. Admit to Linux's
shortcomings where they exist. Acknowledge the sources which led to it's
beginnings. Don't be a M$ and say that Linux is an "original" invention of
mankind.

- Sandip