Re: [Why?] END THIS THREAD NOW! Re: Viability of Linux companies

Sandip Bhattacharya rearranged electrons thusly:

> From: "Atul Chitnis" <achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > This is turning into a BSD advocacy thread, with Linux-bashing overtones,
> > which I suspect has been the primary purpose all along.

> Yeah, instead of a GNU/GPL advocacy one which you would rather have, or a M$
> bashing one which you would rather prefer. If you or/and all others
> *clearly* put it up in the list rules that this is strictly a GNU/Linux list

Last I heard, its a *Linux* list.

> he is upto no good. Same with Larry Wall. Even if Linus himself has openly
> come out against GPL(his exact words were something like "...unfortunate.
> But I had no other option ..."), even drag him into mud. Read up the coding
> conventions that come with every kernel source. It starts with "take the GNU

Oh good.  Excellent post.  Now ...

> coding guides and burn them. It is a great gesture.". Denigrate them too.

GNU coding guides != the terms of the GNU GPL I suppose?

> Apache foundation stays away from anything GPL. Brand them evil.

Other than that, this is an excellent post.

> PLEASE. If anything, you are blinding the newcomers. They grow up thinking
> GNU/GPL is the only way to go. I am not saying that *BSD is the only other.
> QPL, APL, Apache are other options. Do make others aware of them please. Let
> them know theior purposes.

Is there any objective site around which compares licenses?  No, I dont mean
(say) a page on gnu.org discussing which licenses come closest to the GPL.

> > I am majorly offended by the tone being used and the thinly (if at all)
> > disguised intentions of dragging anything Linux through the dirt. There is
> > nothing Linux about this discussion.

> 'scuse me?

I beg to be excused as well. Since when does "anything linux" equal "anything
GPL"?  Arun's main beef seems to be with parts of the GPL he doesn't agree
with.

> > Arun speaks about politics that offend him in the Linux world, but he
> > himself is resorting to massive politics here, which is something we can
> > all do without.

> There is a difference between politics and advocacy, which you have
> conveniently mixed up. The only thing you are asked to do, is to listen to
> the arguments objectively, instead of being colored in your philosophies.

 ... and respond objectively as well.  No sense in trying to kill a good
 thread.  If you feel Arun is trolling you, killfile him.  If you feel you can
 refute his arguments rationally (perhaps also sarcastically - as Raju likes to
 do), do so, by all means.  Saying "end this thread *now*" doesnt exactly serve
 the purpose.

> > All those who agree that this is an unhealthy thread - please stop
> > responding to it starting *now*, no matter how much you think you could
> > gain for Linux.

> Are you trying to bully down a good discussion, after you have run out of
> points??? If you can, counter the arguments with facts. Admit to Linux's
> shortcomings where they exist. Acknowledge the sources which led to it's
> beginnings. Don't be a M$ and say that Linux is an "original" invention of
> mankind.

 I wouldn't put it that strongly - but yeah, Arun is fairly on topic for this
 list, IMHO at least.

 	-suresh

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org