Re: Viability of Linux companies (Was Re: A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:

 |folks(like of us indians). But in countries where bandwidth is not an
 |issue, there is no such excuse. Yes, you can say that Lynx is
 |light. Again, with desktops getting powerful faster than browsers
 |getting bloated, this again ceases to be an issue.

This is the M$FT way of doing things.. you need 128MB of ram minimum to
install their bare OS! (linux needs 4-8MB I think and 16MB for GUI(twm))

Good software is one that isn't unecessarily bloated.

Emacs is huge and Netscape is huge ... but emacs wins handsdown on
functionality and utility.

I was recently playing some of those old 8bit atari games on my linux
machine... it's amazing that they have managed to fit both sound and game
logic into 4kb !! (that is good programming... actually GREAT programming)

Most of todays software are bloatware because people development to meet
deadlines. Fortunately Opensource doesn't have such problems and so our
software are free of unnecessary flab.

Kingsly

	        .:: Kingsly John                ICQ 14787510 ::.
            .:: Linux 2.4.3 #7 Tue Apr 17 18:48:39 IST 2001 i686 ::.
           `:. Posted to the list on Wed Apr 18 10:23:24 IST 2001 .:'