Re: Viability of Linux companies (Was Re: A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!)

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:35:43AM -0500, Mailing List Subscriber merrily said:

> > But yet, it's simply the best browser available. I use it everyday.
>
> Lynx rules yet.

Hell ... when will people give this all up? Lynx is good for fast-no
frills surfing , I agree, but  let's leave it at that. Technology
progresses for a reason. A GUI based browser is aimed at giving you a
far better expierience of the Web. View a RealVideo clip, and play
snooker on a Flash control to see the difference. Presentation matters
a lot, if not as much, as content. Why don't people accept it?
fast-no-frills surfing generally matters to bandwidth-starved
folks(like of us indians). But in countries where bandwidth is not an
issue, there is no such excuse. Yes, you can say that Lynx is
light. Again, with desktops getting powerful faster than browsers
getting bloated, this again ceases to be an issue.

Lynx is good, I admit that. I use it heavily myself. But then I use it
in situations described above. Given enough bandwidth, and a decently
adequate machine, I wouldn't need it any more.

Sheesh, how CAN you fit BBCOnline on an 80x25 screen and still
decipher clearly what they are trying to put up?

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya