Re: Viability of Linux companies (Was Re: A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Arun Sharma wrote:

 |browser). I'm yet to see a market leader open source their product by
 |buying into the GNU philosophy.

The first law of business is squeeze till the last drop.... Learn from
George Lucas... StarWars Episode 1 2 and 3 !!! (Because there are people
who will pay good money to see it.. even if it's not as good as the
original)

And let me tell you that market leader doesn't necessarily mean the best
product.(The Worlds #1 OS gives you a BSOD every day definitely a classy
product that you would love to use I'm sure!!)

 |Also, just because a particular individual can do it doesn't mean that
 |everybody else can or will be able to do it. What about the Rs xxxx
 |crore (it usually causes a floating point overflow error in my brain)
 |made by "software exports" by the Indian IT industry ?

And what was the *PRODUCT* that was exported ??? Nothing !!! I only know
of a handful of products from india... so it means even if the whole world
were to switch to linux or BSD or whatever... these companies would still
make the same amount of money doing the same kind of job only on a
different platform.

 |If you're saying that you're happy doing Linux consulting, good for
 |you. But if you're saying that's a great model to encourage innovation in
 |software, supporting families of good software engineers,  I think the
 |numbers are very telling.

Where are the numbers ?? how many people in this world are supported by
M$FT ?? How many closed source shrink wrapped products were manufactured
in india ?? and what percentage of software exports did they consititute ?
And then you will see for yourself that even if the whole world switched
to opensource you won't find any noticable differnce except the worlds
richest man will be worth many billions less due to a dramatic crash in
the value of his companies stocks.

 |Bottomline: open source is a good idea, works well in a lot of places.

Closed source is an idea which shouldn't be used in a LOT of places!
(Whenever I click the dropdown menu on IE5.5 on my windoze machine it
exchanges data on the net for 10-20 secs ... I am sure that's a really
cool feature!)

Kingsly

	        .:: Kingsly John                ICQ 14787510 ::.
            .:: Linux 2.4.3 #5 Sun Apr 8 17:10:55 IST 2001 i686 ::.
           `:. Posted to the list on Tue Apr 17 09:08:54 IST 2001 .:'