Re: Viability of Linux companies (Was Re: A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Arun Sharma wrote:

 |As I said again, this idea has been around since early 80s and not one
 |serious company has shown any ability to sustain itself selling manuals,
 |exams or whatever else.

It's a matter of survival skills... the company has to mould itself into
the right mould to survive... profits from products is ruled out so the
company has to think of other streams of revenue and capitalise on them...
it's a matter of the companies survival skills.

Other than Windoze products most of the other *products* are almost free.
When we talk of world domination we talk of the desktop segment....
BeOS - free
Solaris - almost
StarOffice - free
Corel WP - lite version is free
Lotus - (I think their office suite is free)

so here we have some non opensource products which are paid for by a
corporate entity that are available for free. so they are not making money
but the companies have other revenue streams.

ditto for the opensource companies. they need to look at alternate ways or
be doomed.

Kingsly

	        .:: Kingsly John                ICQ 14787510 ::.
            .:: Linux 2.4.3 #5 Sun Apr 8 17:10:55 IST 2001 i686 ::.
           `:. Posted to the list on Tue Apr 17 08:49:52 IST 2001 .:'