Re: Viability of Linux companies (Was Re: A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Arun Sharma wrote:

 |I've always advocated that Indians should switch to that business.
 |Oracle employs 43000 people and earns $7.6 billion, more than the
 |earnings of the whole Indian software industry. What is it they can
 |do that Indian software engineers can't do ?

Try selling this view to Mr. Narayana Murthy... he says something like ...
"Don't ask why doesn't India develop the next big thing in IT ... why
doesn't it develop the greatest application.. there are bigger and more
important issue.. we need to create jobs ... raise the standard of living
... eradicate poverty etc etc"(don't remember the exact words but he said
something like this on Prannoy Roys show on BBC)

Pity that he doesn't see that if INFY was able to come up with the next
BIG thing in the IT world... his company would achieve all that and much
much more....

And I think the recent annual reports and stuff should drive the point
home.... while INFY's projects are lower... HCL Technologies has actually
shown a positive growth... reason is simple... HCLT is involved in new
technologies and products ... instead of just providing solutions(which is
what most of the so called *Software* companies in india do!)

Kingsly

	        .:: Kingsly John                ICQ 14787510 ::.
            .:: Linux 2.4.3 #7 Tue Apr 17 18:48:39 IST 2001 i686 ::.
           `:. Posted to the list on Sat Apr 21 23:20:03 IST 2001 .:'