Re: Linux v/s Mac OS X?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sudhakar Chandra" <thaths@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Linux India General Discussion"
<linux-india-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2001 3:41 AM
Subject: Re: [LIG] Linux v/s Mac OS X?

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 11:29:18PM +0530, did Sandip Bhattacharya write:
> > 1. I still haven't figured out why a newbie has to sit down with his
> >    Monitor and Graphics card manuals with a scratch-pad for the refresh
> >    rates, while a Windows system does most of the work by itself!
>
> This is mostly due to a large number of vendors submitting their graphic
> card and monitor specs to MS.  In the case of X, the specs are all those
> collected by users like you and I.  WinDOS does an excellent job of
> hardware probing.  Such autoprobing does not exist in most distributions.

I feel Windows is not wothout blemish in hardware probing at least as far as
W2K is concerned. I installed W2Kpro in an assembled set with SiS chipset
and i have still not been successful in installing internal modem as well as
USB ports. It appears (microsoft's)digitally signed device drivers are still
not available.That much to the world's best operating system- W2K !

<thaths@xxxxxxxxxxxx>