Re: Free Software Company

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 10:34:28AM +0530, Raju Mathur wrote:
> Arun is again falling into the old mindset, which I have explained
> time and again on this list: software != food.  If I have 2 rotis and
> I give you one, I have one roti less.  If I have 2000 lines of code
> and I give them to you, both of us have 2000 lines of code.  See the
> difference?  Sharing software, music, books, information increases
> wealth in the world.

As Gurunandan says, it's probably not productive to argue on political
views. You're basically saying that all intangible intellectual properties
should be shared by all.

I would gladly agree with you if people's time had no value.

> Sharing food/money/drugs/consultancy time doesn't.

Drugs and consultancy time are equally intanglible intellectual properties.
By drugs, I meant the research that pharmaceutical (sp ?) companies
spend in developing aspirin. You can transmit the aspirin formula 100
times and you still have your original aspirin formula right ?

Same applies to consultancy time. You tell someone how to install apache
100 times, you still don't lose the knowledge. But you've just lost
the time which you could've used with your kids.

	-Arun