Re: Re: Free software, proprietary software and Stalin

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 11:47:15PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Arun> GNU project does have a problem with the BSD license. Read
>  Arun> RMS's article on this on gnu.org. And BSD license is DFSG
>  Arun> compliant.
>
>         I don't speak for the GNU project -- hell, I don't even speak
>  for Debian. I do speak as a gnu proponent. And Debian, with all our
>  predeliction for the GPL, have pronounced the BSD licence DFSG free.
>
>         If indeed you are trying to open a dialog with the GNU
>  project, this is entirely the wrong forum.

Ok. In other words you don't agree with all of the GNU stuff and
don't have a problem with the BSD license ?

>  >> I like that. I hate people making money off other peoples work.
>
>  Arun> Your ideas are based on hatred. That's the problem.
>
>         Yeah right. Beautful logic -- Ihate pedophiles, so all my
>  thoughts on children are based on hate? Where did you learn logic
>  from? Strong dissaproval of (incidentally, that is the colloquial
>  substance of the phrase used) of people who tend to make money off
>  other peoples work does not mean that my support is based on hate --
>  in fact, my support of the GPL is basesd on entirely amicable
>  feelings of community.

Inappropriate comparision. Paedophiles cause harm to children.
Selling software doesn't cause harm to anyone.

>  Arun> Ever tried using gcc on Alpha ?
>
>         Actually, yes. How do you think Debian-alpha compiles stuff?
>  And I used gcc all the time on Ultrix and Digital UNIX machines to
>  compile Emacs == worked great.
>
>         Your point?

There exists a compiler called the Compaq C compiler. There also
exists a benchmark called SPECint95.

Also, compiling Linux using a non gcc compiler is a significant
pain, which I experienced personally when I tried to compile it
for IA-64 using the Intel compiler. There is a paper on this that someone
wrote on the Intel technical journal - look for it on the web. The
results are far from optimal.

Bottomline: gcc is not the most optimizing compiler on earth. And
compiler independent code has some value. Linux sucks in this area.

Again, an example of how exclusivity results in a suboptimal result
to the end user.

	-Arun