Re: Re: Free software, proprietary software and Stalin

 Arun> On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 01:51:37PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> [...]
 Arun> Then you stop using Apache, Perl, TCP/IP, PPP, Adaptec cards in Linux
 Arun> and Microsoft windows because they don't use the GNU license.

        Note the use of the word you. Since no one here speaks for the
 GNU project, I assumed you were referring to the pro-GPL people, in
 other words, people like me.

 >> This is highly illogical. You said you had a problem with the GNU
 >> philosophy. We never said we had a problem using DFSG code.. And
 >> our philosophy is what determines the licence I issue my code
 >> under.

 Arun> GNU project does have a problem with the BSD license. Read
 Arun> RMS's article on this on gnu.org. And BSD license is DFSG
 Arun> compliant.

        I don't speak for the GNU project -- hell, I don't even speak
 for Debian. I do speak as a gnu proponent. And Debian, with all our
 predeliction for the GPL, have pronounced the BSD licence DFSG free.

        If indeed you are trying to open a dialog with the GNU
 project, this is entirely the wrong forum.

 >> I like that. I hate people making money off other peoples work.

 Arun> Your ideas are based on hatred. That's the problem.

        Yeah right. Beautful logic -- Ihate pedophiles, so all my
 thoughts on children are based on hate? Where did you learn logic
 from? Strong dissaproval of (incidentally, that is the colloquial
 substance of the phrase used) of people who tend to make money off
 other peoples work does not mean that my support is based on hate --
 in fact, my support of the GPL is basesd on entirely amicable
 feelings of community.

 Arun> Ever tried using gcc on Alpha ?

        Actually, yes. How do you think Debian-alpha compiles stuff?
 And I used gcc all the time on Ultrix and Digital UNIX machines to
 compile Emacs == worked great.

        Your point?

        manoj
--
 The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
 least until we've finished building it.