Re: Re: Free software, proprietary software and Stalin

>>"Arun" == Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Arun> Their (BSD) main concern is software.

        Really? If I were as uncharitale as you, I woul say their main
 concern is ego -- and certainly find justification on the
 mailinglists. However, I don't want to stoop to those levels.

        All I am going to say is that community is certainly not one
 of the strong motivations for them.

 Arun>  Not politics.

        What politics? Did you see me preach about republicans? Or
 democrats? Or getting anyone elected? Where do you get off calling
 community building politics? Politics is Theo splitting off from his
 ertswhile comarades. Polititcs is *NOT* my deciding licencing terms
 on my code.

        You can label anything vile, with no justification, and then
 denigrate it

 Arun> I note that BSD license doesn't exclude building the community
 Arun> and meeting many of the same goals of the GNU project.

        No, truth to tell, it doesn't. It just makes it a lot harder
 -- it is easier for people to make off with the software and not
 contribute back, which is a bummer. Enough of a buummer that the BSD
 people have squandered a decades early start, and are now playing
 catchup.

 Arun> The rest of the statements about ulterior motives and self
 Arun> aggrandizement, gullible coders etc is the fantasy of a fertile
 Arun> mind, IMO.

        Really? I wonder. Of course, if you were in it for the money
 (as you once confessed you are), you woudn't agree with this anyway,
 would you?

 Arun> Selling software is not a crime, nor is it exploitation. No one needs
 Arun> protection. Get over it.

        I beg to differ. I have a BSD derived box it costs thousands
 of dollars to upgrade -- and I am at the mercy of the people sho took
 the open source coide, branded and closed it, for bug fixes --
 obviously I do not have access to the source code.

        Hell, I need something that protects *my* code and users from
 such a thing. *You* may not freelk the need for protection. But you
 can't tel;l me, and people like me, that we do not need protection --
 espescial;l;y with your public sentiments about monetary
 motivations.

 Arun> And think about: http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=RHAT&d=1y and what
 Arun> happens when the Linux hype subsides. How are you going to get
 Arun> your video/network/modem card to work ? Are you going to get
 Arun> support from your cable modem/DSL company ?  Or you're left
 Arun> writing these "Please support Linux" letters ?

        Just liek we got things to work when there _was_ no Linux
 hype. I have been using Linux since late '93 -- when the BSD's were
 supposedly more hip.

        manoj
--
 Matrimony isn't a word, it's a sentence.
Manoj Srivastava   <srivasta@xxxxxxxxxx>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>