Re: Re: Free software, proprietary software and Stalin

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 01:38:15PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Arun> Well said. I'm arguing that GPL, GNU ideals = communism, an
>  Arun> extreme and that we should find the middle ground and that
>  Arun> middle ground is the BSD license.
>
>         Thisis yor opinion, and I beg to differ. My take is that the
>  *BSD licence suits people whose sole concern is self aggrandizement:
>  their only concern is that their name is on the software; and they
>  have no concerns about community, or what happens to their software.

Their (BSD) main concern is software. Not politics. I note that BSD license
doesn't exclude building the community and meeting many of the same
goals of the GNU project.

The rest of the statements about ulterior motives and self aggrandizement,
gullible coders etc is the fantasy of a fertile mind, IMO.

Selling software is not a crime, nor is it exploitation. No one needs
protection. Get over it.  And think about:
http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=RHAT&d=1y and what happens when the Linux
hype subsides. How are you going to get your video/network/modem card to
work ? Are you going to get support from your cable modem/DSL company ?
Or you're left writing these "Please support Linux" letters ?

	-Arun