Re: Re: Free software, proprietary software and Stalin

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 08:47:37PM +0530, Raj Mathur wrote:
> Hi Arun,
>
> Essentially you're saying that you use GNU products because they're so
> good, but you resent the licensing implications.  Well, it's pretty
> simple: don't use GNU products.

Then you stop using Apache, Perl, TCP/IP, PPP, Adaptec cards in Linux
and Microsoft windows because they don't use the GNU license. This is
exactly the problem with the GNU license and the GPL mindset  - inability
to coexist with other free software thoughts.

Note that I don't resent the implications of the GNU license. I just
think that the goals that it's trying to achieve have been historically
proven to be unachievable because of human tendencies. By being
adamant on being the only kind of free software (by not mixing with
other, arguably "more free" software), it is hindering progress.

I think GPL is impractical in its goals. I "use" (but don't try too
hard to extend) GPL'ed products for practical reasons.

[ Your conspicuous absense to answers to my earlier mail debunking the
  distinctions between "goods" and software noted. ]

	-Arun