after power failure

Hi Lalit,

To fix after a power failure and fsck fails, (assumiing your root
partition is on /dev/hda1):

[Give the root password when asked and go into single-user mode]
mount -oremount,ro -n /
e2fsck -y -f -v /dev/hda1
[Reset power to the system]

For long-term solutions, have a look at one of the many Journalling
filesystems available for Linux.  Reiserfs support is already in the
kernel, XFS, JFS and Ext3 will be available soon.  Note that migrating
your root FS to a new filesystem type isn't for the faint of heart!

Regards,

-- Raju

--
Raju Mathur          raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://kandalaya.org/