after power failure

Hello to all the Linux comminute.
i am a new member to this community and fresh passout engineer from Panjab
University Chandigarh.
i have RH 7.0 on my system
i had faced twice this problem.
i was working on my system and suddenly power fails unfortunately i don't
have a UPS then after restarting my system i got a hell of error messages
then the system asked me to give the root password to repair the file
system.
as a new user to Linux i don't know much, please explain me how can i repair
the file system in linux.
as i had to reinstall the whole Linux.
and more, is there anything which can be applied so that next time if power
fails or improper shutdown happenes, then file system don't corrupts.

with regards
Lalit