Re: Re: Re: rpm3 to rpm4 upgrade, crashed rpm DB

"Ambar Roy" <ambarroy@xxxxxxxxx> Wrote---
> Now , i got the exact thing i suppose, i try to install modutils just
after upgrading the rpm, then i run --rebuilddb, Now nothing was happen then
i again run the --force upgrade of rpm and run --rebuilddb
> now it is showing only seven pacakges which i just upgrade, nothing else
in rpm -qa :-)
> You tell me one thing what are the chances if i upgrade it to RH7.

looks like that u hav zapped yr rpm db. I don't think that u can recover it
now!
>My suggestion wud be to reinstall linux afresh, and >then reconfigure the
The same problem i faced with one another m/c and i rectified that one but today i don't exactly remember what i did then .
>box. I wudn't trust red hat upgrade to do anything >nicely (esp something
>like a rh 6.2 to 7.0 upgrade) Last (first) time when i >tried to upgrade my
rh 6.0 box to rh 6.1, the upgrade process didn't go off very smoothly, and
>it ate up a lot of hdd space, and since then i hav >learned to never upgrade
>a rh distro!! (it is better and faster to take backups >and then reinstall
>the system). Also rh 7 has a completely different >filesystem structure from
>rh 6.x series, so u might hav problems when u transfer >apps between these
>two systems (though i hav yet to hav any probs). Also if u think abt running
>rh 7, then remember to apply the glibc updates.

>Also since i use linux mainly as servers, i just >install linux on to a box
>and then only apply updates that are required for >security and never touch
>the box. I hav learnt it the hard way that never do >these kind of upgrades.
I am afraid after hearing such words never upgrade the packages etc.. As i have heared linux so much flexible and versatile, i am maintaining about one dozen of online servers, on each of which i does some upgrade and so..daily

>Almost always it is better to just back up the >machine, and then install a
>newer distro. That makes things nice for everyone!

Bye,
Regards,

Yashpal Nagar