Re: [achitnis@exocore.com: [linux@it.com] State of the Onion]

hi,
	I think you read me wrong.

    Atul> Prabhu: For weeks now, there has been serious discussion in
    Atul> the itcom list about this event. I had posted to all the
    Atul> LUGs asking them to get involved. Some have responded (Goa,
    Atul> Nagpur, Delhi), some have not. Chennai is one of the LUGs
    Atul> that has not responded at all.

	First, I forwarded your email to ILUGC. That is about all I
can do.

	But why am I to blame for ILUGC's lack of participation?  I
dont mean that you blamed me but Ravikant did.  Personally, this
semester is rather tough for me.  I have three courses, research,
personal work, my own software that I maintain (look here:
freshmeat.net/projects/vtk-cfd and vtkpipeline), ilugc and its
activities, helping users, trying out and playing with the hurd
etc. etc.  Do you really think that I would not do anything for IT.com
if I had the time?

	FWIW I will make a strong post on ILUGC begging folks to
participate in whatever small way they can.  I hope this will help.

    Atul> There is a website (http://itcom.linux-india.org) that has
    Atul> details of what is happening, and you will find answers to
    Atul> all your questions there, and those that arent answered
    Atul> there, are in the message archives of the linux-at-itcom
    Atul> list at egroups.

	Ok.  I have an exam on monday and am already in deep trouble
bcos I have spent too much time on other things. When I get the time I
will definitely take a look.

    Atul> I clearly mentioned that I have done limited research on the
    Atul> localised linux business. My findings were zero. If someone
    Atul> like me (who obviously tends to know a lot about Linux in
    Atul> India) has no clue about localisation efforts in India, then
    Atul> I am afraid that there is a problem, and it definitely isn't
    Atul> at my end.

	Who said it was your problem?  There are a lot of problems I
have no solutions to.  Even for exhibitions held here in Chennai there
were not too many volunteers.  We had a fairly successfull PCQ expo
here. Lateral funded the stall. But only Arun and me ended up doing
the bulk of the work setting up the machines for the stall.  Please,
Latreal and OS4 folks I mean participation from the general ILUGC
members. It was frustrating to say the least.  The Chennai LUG members
do seem to be fairly lazy?!  Well Chennaiites, if you dont like what I
just said you had better change this opinion and make me eat my words.

    Atul> Last year, we had 150,000 visitors go through the Linux
    Atul> pavilion at IT.COM. If you (or anyone else) thinks that this
    Atul> could be a good platform to show off your localisation
    Atul> efforts, why not *PARTICIPATE* instead of putting me in my
    Atul> place?

	I dont want to show off.  I want to be left alone for the time
being so that I can do some work.  :)

    Atul> And yes, I recognise that the first stone was cast by
    Atul> someone from ILUGC when it came to voting whether the BLUG
    Atul> should be "allowed" to represent the Linux community at
    Atul> IT.COM (I found that so hilarious - I knew *then* that the
    Atul> forum - LI-REG - would be history long before the event that
    Atul> it "authorized").

	Why so?  Were you on LI-reg?  I think you have a rather biased
view of this and dont like it.  You may think that I hate you or
something.  You are far from the truth.  As you will remember even way
back when I was on LI I used to support you.  I think you have done a
lot of good for linux here.  So dont take this personally.  However I
think it is unfair to take the stance that you have taken.

    Atul> Just as I *hope* you recognise that your participation at
    Atul> the PCQ show was the result of my lobbying hard for it with
    Atul> PCQ for almost a year, resulting in the local ILUGs getting

	Sure.  I know that read my previous para if you dont believe
me. :)

    Atul> free space at the PCQ shows.  Hyderabad too has availed of
    Atul> this, Cochin would have if it wouldn't have been for
    Atul> mitigating circumstances (read - politics) there.

    Atul> But his is *not* about "don't forget what xxx did for yyy" -
    Atul> this is about Linux.

	Yeah, I know.  Dont forget (IT.com != Linux) and (inability to
participate in IT.com) != (doesnt do anything for linux) either.

    Atul> Now if we could quit positioning and get some work done
    Atul> instead?

	Ok. Will make a post to ILUGC pronto.

    Atul> Thanks in advance for ILUGC's participation.

I sincerely hope there will be some.