Re: learning linux

Hi Prahlad,

pnc>  I want a book that covers all the basic stuff
[snip]
There isn't any one book that covers all that you've listed, and if it
did I'd be wary of it.. lots of the topics you mention require lots of
time and effort to cover... Here are some books that might help :

>installation
No idea, sorry. I usually get hardware that I know is supported (or
ask folks on the LUG's if you dunno what h/w might work, but only
after you've researched it, don't use this as an alternate to sites
and search engines)

>command index
apropos
This command will help you find anything hat might be close to what
you are looking for.
"A Practical Guide to Linux" by Mark G. Sobell (Addision Wesley)

>networking
To learn TCP/IP grab Vol I of TCP/IP by Richard Stevens. To learn
network programming, get "Unix Network Programming", Richard
Stevens. Andrew Tannenbaum's "Computer Networks" is a good book for
the basics. "O'Reilly & Associates" has "TCP/IP Network
Administration" (good for beginners) and "DNS & BIND".

>samba
"teach yourself Samba in 24 hours" (no, really. Good book) There
is also "Using Samba" from O'Reilly, and I there is an online
version at :

       http://us1.samba.org/samba/oreilly/using_samba/

>kernel hacking, etc,
Your next query includes programming, so I'd assume you want to get
really good at C before you attempt this...

>basics of :
>perl
"Learning Perl" by By Randal Schwartz, Tom Christiansen & Larry Wall
from O'Reilly. For ready reference "Perl in a Nutshell". For the
Advanced stuff : "Advanced Perl Programming", and "Perl Cookbook". And
for the perl tidbits you have CPAN (COmprehensive Perl Archive
Network)

>java,
Sorry, no idea.

"The C Programming Language" By K&R

>cpp
Don't recall offhand...

The /usr/doc directory is where you should be. Start with the how-to's
you'll find enough cross references to keep you entertained. Oh, and
there is google...

If you are willing to spend a bit of money lots of the books from
O'Reilly are available on CD's in the HTML format.

Not to disparage, but seeking to grok all of it from one book, at one
stroke, getting bit and pieces of all the things we've all been
learning for years is, IMO, a bit unseemly.

Good Luck!

BGa