[LI] Questions in setting up mail server

Hi,

I've been using linux for s/w development over next 6 months. Now we've
decided to also make it our mail server.

I've been able to setup this machine to dial-out and surf the net using
domain names. Now I want to proceed to set it up as a mail server.

I'm a bit confused about what I have to do next to make it a mail server.
I'm reading PCQuest 98 which has reasonably good write-ups on different
components. I have some basic questions before I can understand PCQ.

1. I have a machine with IP address 192.168.1.2. It is also called
localhost. From any WIN95 workstation if I ping 192.168.1.2 or localhost it
is able to go thru'. I want it to be called +ADw-myhost+AD4-. I used this program
hostname and set the host name as myhost. Now, if I ping even in the linux
machine as myhost it says host not found +ACEAIQ- If I give hostname command it
displays myhost. What is the funda behind this ??
2. As a first step towards setting up the mail server, I want to check
within office mail. If I have to make multiple mailboxes... should I have
multiple mail-ids on the Linux box. How do I create pop mail accounts in the
linux machine and enable within office mail??
3. Do I need to setup DNS on my server if I have to send and receive mail
outside office.
4. In general if somebody can tell me the sequence of steps I have to follow
I will attack the PCQ May 1998 magazine again +ACEAIQ-

I'm finding it incredibly difficult to setup a chatscript and dial out. What
took me say 2 hours on Win95 took me several days to do in Linux and that
too without this linux-india mailing list I don't think I would've ever
completed it.
There are at least possibilities
a) Linux in general has a steep learning curve.
b) I'm not having the right kind of books. I'm having RedHat Linux Unleashed
and PCQ 1998. Maybe I should have some other book.
I've read and re-read man pages. They are very dense. I need the PCQ
magazine to interpret the man pages.

Please ..... Please....help me.

Thanks in advance.

Murali

Differentiated Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.,
176, Gr. Floor, 6th Main
2nd Block RT Nagar
Bangalore - 560 032
India