Re: [LI] Questions in setting up mail server

+AD4- I've been using linux for s/w development over next 6 months. Now we've
+AD4- decided to also make it our mail server.
great :)
+AD4-
+AD4- I've been able to setup this machine to dial-out and surf the net using
+AD4- domain names. Now I want to proceed to set it up as a mail server.
+AD4-
hightime you did

+AD4- I'm a bit confused about what I have to do next to make it a mail server.
+AD4- I'm reading PCQuest 98 which has reasonably good write-ups on different
+AD4- components. I have some basic questions before I can understand PCQ.
+AD4-
+AD4- 1. I have a machine with IP address 192.168.1.2. It is also called
+AD4- localhost. From any WIN95 workstation if I ping 192.168.1.2 or localhost
it
+AD4- is able to go thru'. I want it to be called +ADw-myhost+AD4-. I used this program
+AD4- hostname and set the host name as myhost. Now, if I ping even in the linux
+AD4- machine as myhost it says host not found +ACEAIQ- If I give hostname command it
+AD4- displays myhost. What is the funda behind this ??
here your name resolution process cannot resolve the name myhost to the ip
192.168.1.2
because you may not have this in the DNS configuration files, or in the
hosts file.
the easiest way is to edit the /etc/hosts file (+AFw-windows+AFw-hosts in windows
machine)
+AFs-create one if it doesn't exist+AF0- add
127.0.0.1    localhost    myhost +AFs-in the windows machine put that machines
name here+AF0-
192.168.1.2    localhost    myhost
+AFs-similarly add all your machines which may take part in this network here+AF0-

 2. As a first step towards setting up the mail server, I want to check
+AD4- within office mail. If I have to make multiple mailboxes... should I have
+AD4- multiple mail-ids on the Linux box. How do I create pop mail accounts in
the
+AD4- linux machine and enable within office mail??
you already have an MTA (sendmail) on your machine configuring that is
enough
to provide mail sending feature.  but for a pop server, you have to install
the imapd package
from the RH distro, or go in for qmail (which you can find on dec 99 chip
cd).

+AD4- 3. Do I need to setup DNS on my server if I have to send and receive mail
+AD4- outside office.
if you have a proper ISP connection and the ISP is running an MTA, most
ISP's will be,
then you can configure this as the default mail route for all your outgoing
mail.

+AD4- 4. In general if somebody can tell me the sequence of steps I have to
follow
+AD4- I will attack the PCQ May 1998 magazine again +ACEAIQ-
+AD4-
it is easy using +ACI-linuxconf+ACI-
    this will take care of the chat scripts and ipup scripts etc
or using wvdial
    this uses one single conf file like a windows ini file with sections
    labeled +AFs-Dialer default+AF0- +AFs-Dialer myconf+AF0- etc.
    the man pages are really simple.

+AD4- I'm finding it incredibly difficult to setup a chatscript and dial out.
What
+AD4- took me say 2 hours on Win95 took me several days to do in Linux and that
+AD4- too without this linux-india mailing list I don't think I would've ever
+AD4- completed it.
one good solution
Join the ILUG-Banlgalore and attend the meetings.

+AD4- There are at least possibilities
+AD4- a) Linux in general has a steep learning curve.
no this is not always correct, interpreting the man pages is what you need.

+AD4- b) I'm not having the right kind of books. I'm having RedHat Linux
Unleashed
+AD4- and PCQ 1998. Maybe I should have some other book.
those are right books.

+AD4- I've read and re-read man pages. They are very dense. I need the PCQ
+AD4- magazine to interpret the man pages.
+AD4-