Re: [LI] vsnl mail problem

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 09:29:57AM +0530, L.V.Gandhi wrote:
> I wanted to connect to vsnl mail server. I made a script as follows.
> telnet 202.54.6.35 110
>     USER lvgandhi
>     PASS *******
> ans saved it as seefirstmail and made it executable. I executed it.
> result is give below.

The USER and PASS will not ever reach the ever POP3 server if you put
them as part of the script after the 'telnet'. Maybe you have to type
them in yourself.

> [lvgandhi@lvghomepc] ~$ seefirstmail
> Trying 202.54.6.35...
> Connected to 202.54.6.35.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> +OK QPOP (version 2.53) at md3.vsnl.net.in starting.
> list
> -ERR Unknown command: "list".
> LIST
> -ERR Unknown command: "list".
> top 1 10
> -ERR Unknown command: "top".

The USER and PASS have not reached the POP3 server. Therefore you have
not logged in. You are still in the Authentication stage, and here the
only valid commands are USER, PASS (after USER only) or QUIT.

Hence LIST, TOP etc are 'Unknown command'

> ls
> -ERR Unknown command: "ls".

Oh! Is that a POP4 command or something? I never knew it ;-)

> quit
> +OK Pop server at md3.vsnl.net.in signing off.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

> /home/lvgandhi/bin/seefirstmail: USER: command not found
> /home/lvgandhi/bin/seefirstmail: PASS: command not found
> [lvgandhi@lvghomepc] ~$

Like I said before, the USER and PASS given in the script will be not be
sent to the POP3 server, but will be executed by the shell.

> If I delete the first mail then I could download the mail
> further. Hence to access the first mail i tried as above. How to go
> about it?

If you are the adventurous type, then you can do that using 'telnet' to
port 110. Else you can try out programs like popcheck (search
Freshmeat).

--
Do you support 'free software'?  Visit http://mvm.linuxbox.com
Visit the ILUG-Cochin home page at http://www.netshooter.com/ilug-cochin