Re: [LI] vsnl mail problem

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, thus spake Babu Kalakrishnan:

> Suresh, what Anand was trying to point out was the fact that the lines
> "USER lvgandhi" and "PASS ****"  _will not_ get through to the telnet

Oh hell :(  My mistake :)

> In case he needs to feed pre-programmed commands to a POP3 server, he'd
> need a program that can understand the various states of the server. (i.e.

What binand said - expect - could do this IIRC (or just manual telnet
instead of writing scripts).

> Do it manually by telnetting to port 110 and typing in all commands
> (including the USER and PASS) directly, and do what is appropriate.

This is the best option.

> Or use vsnl's webmail page (webmail.vsnl.com) to login to the server and
> fetch / delete mail in an interactive manner. (This is possible only if

Pretty slow, down most of the time, according to a friend who has one such
id.  I wouldn't know - Hyd has DOT (which is worse than vsnl) :(

> >> poll server with proto pop3 no dns
> >or if the mail is too big, set the timeout flag if you want to download
> >it instead of deleting it.

> Couldn't understand the relevance of this suggestion in the context of
> LVGandhi's question.

I was thinking of the various reasons ~why~ he had to delete the mail from
the pop server instead of fetching it.  These, afaik, are the two most
common reasons for fetchmail to choke on an email.

As I get lots of spam, and download mails from some slow servers, both of
these frequently occured till I set the two flags above.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx