Re: [LI] Raghavendra Bhat's attacks on PC Quest

----- Original Message -----
From: Atul Chitnis <achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: [LI] Raghavendra Bhat's attacks on PC Quest

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. wrote:
>
> > Be quite sure I am not taking sides here, but Atul, how does this step
help
> > Linux and specifically Linux in India.
>
> Oh, that's simple. Linux India is not affiliated with any entity (be it
> magazine or otherwise). But if there is a frontal attack like we are
> seeing now on any entity, it cannot step in without being immediately
> accused of "catering" to that entity.

Maybe the Linux India list admin cannot (or won't) step in probably because
free speech is a constitutional right you know. But when the perpetrator of
this attack (it is an attack whichever way one looks at it) crosses the
limits of legitimacy, then remedial steps can be taken, probably by due
course of law, but given the state of our legal machinery that is not a very
viable option.

Btw, I wonder what happened to Mr. Al Dev ??? Remember him of the "you
Indians are stupid" (in)fame ? If people just voice their displeasure at
these attacks and then ignore the chap and not get drawn in to a duel, he's
gonna have to shut up. Okay he's had his 15 mins in the spotlight, now lets
bury the chap.

Also, if I remember right, his tirade came in the guise of posting the Ilug
Cochin meet minutes. Why was he allowed to do that ? This is not the first
time he has rambled like this. Self censorship is not that bad you know.
Will Ilug Cochin post a retraction of this particularly juvenile post ?

<off topic>
Anyone see the news item on Star Tv last night. They aired an interview with
a hacker (what they actually needed to say was cracker) who cracks and/or
exchanges credit card info and then makes purchases online. The chap
actually has the audacity to say that because there are no cyber laws, even
if caught, all he'd get was a warning. Long live our legal system.
</off topic>

> However, if that entity is not associated with Linux in any way, then such
> accusations cannot be made, right?

What if then he chose another target because his primary target retreated
(for whatever reason). One is handing him victory on the proverbial platter,
it would merely embolden him.

> A harsh step, but one that definitely will happen at some point unless
> listers step in themselves and tell the perpetrator *and* the listadmins
> about acceptable behaviour. If the list protests, so will the admins -
> without worry about accusations of bias.

Yes I strongly protest MR. BHAT ARE YOU LISTENING ???? desist from your
quixotic tirades. I'm sure others on the list will concur.

> I need to point out that Linux India is a big thing now, and as important
> as any other Linux resource in India - if not the biggest. This is why
> said perpetrator uses this medium to foster his agenda. PCQ, CHIP, PC
> World, IBM, Dell, Intel, Motorola, etc. are all part of the Linux world in
> India, and if one of them is repeatedly attacked this way, it may not mean
> much, but if the list shows apathy and "let's it happen", you can be sure
> that the entity is going to reconsider its involvement with Linux.

Exactly the point that I have raised earlier, what's to stop him picking on
someone else ?

> > Btw Mr. Bhat, PCWorld gave Corel Linux, Chip gave Winlinux 2000, I.T.
> > Magazine gave Mandrake linux, then how come you only target PCQ for
giving
> > out Non-Debian distros ????
>
> A *very* good question. I suspect that the answer to this is the core of
> the problem. It appears to have very little to do with Debian, or Linux,
> or anything libre, at all......
>
> Atul

sorry for the long post,

Sharukh.

btw, I can't see any reply from Mr. Bhat on the list.