Re: [LI] Raghavendra Bhat's attacks on PC Quest

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. wrote:

> Be quite sure I am not taking sides here, but Atul, how does this step help
> Linux and specifically Linux in India.

Oh, that's simple. Linux India is not affiliated with any entity (be it
magazine or otherwise). But if there is a frontal attack like we are
seeing now on any entity, it cannot step in without being immediately
accused of "catering" to that entity.

However, if that entity is not associated with Linux in any way, then such
accusations cannot be made, right?

A harsh step, but one that definitely will happen at some point unless
listers step in themselves and tell the perpetrator *and* the listadmins
about acceptable behaviour. If the list protests, so will the admins -
without worry about accusations of bias.

I need to point out that Linux India is a big thing now, and as important
as any other Linux resource in India - if not the biggest. This is why
said perpetrator uses this medium to foster his agenda. PCQ, CHIP, PC
World, IBM, Dell, Intel, Motorola, etc. are all part of the Linux world in
India, and if one of them is repeatedly attacked this way, it may not mean
much, but if the list shows apathy and "let's it happen", you can be sure
that the entity is going to reconsider its involvement with Linux.

> Btw Mr. Bhat, PCWorld gave Corel Linux, Chip gave Winlinux 2000, I.T.
> Magazine gave Mandrake linux, then how come you only target PCQ for giving
> out Non-Debian distros ????

A *very* good question. I suspect that the answer to this is the core of
the problem. It appears to have very little to do with Debian, or Linux,
or anything libre, at all......

Atul