Re: [LI] News Server setup

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 skhader@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks for dat info Atul.

You are welcome.

> Anyway I am using Debian here, and the command is also the same here
ctlinnd you mean? It should!

> and hence it works I used that command like this
> # ctlinnd newgroup in.ibm.linux y avenger
> And it did add a news group by the name in.ibm.linux ( BTW thanks for the
> Idea of in.ibm.linux ( .distro is removed for
> confidential reasons ;-))

Make sure you create subgroups, or you get jammed latter.
in.ibm.linux.cribbing.customers.who.cant.get.ibm.linux.support.for.netfinity.servers
would be appropriate. :-\

> But, when I connect from an OS/2 machine using Netscape, I get the error
> " Discussion group responded: You have no permission to talk . GoodBye "
> ;-?
> I edited nnrp.access to add the line *.in.ibm.com:RP:::*, but still no
> luck.

Oh, simple enough - remember I said *.in.ibm.com - but does the IP address
of your client machine resolve to a name like os2.in.ibm.com? Check DNS
settings. Get the IP address of that machine, and run

nslookup ip.address.of.client

and see what it comes up with.

For the moment (and since it is internal, just change the *.in.ibm.com to
* and it will work.

> And as far as Lotus notes *client* for Linux is concerned, it is
> totally and only possible By the Lotus Team ( since Lotus is owned by
> IBM but functions as an *independent* entity )

Hey, if one runs Lotus Notes 5.x, you should be able to use the webclient,
right?

I wish IBM would wake up and make the web-downloadable notes distro on CD
locally. I have been trying in vain to download a copy to try out, but no
go. :-(

atul