Re: [LI] GNU tar-1.11.8 - y2k !?

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Nagarjuna G. wrote:

> Gopi, if you took it as a flame, I am sorry.

Actually, your comment to Gopi about what this list is about is a syndrome
that is sorely troubling the list - everyone here is wants to play
administrator.

Did you have any clue who Gopi Garge was when you posted that
"administrative" message? Try these clues - ERnet, thousands of Unix/Linux
systems, tens of thousands of users, director at Exocore Consulting (a
predominantly Linux firm), PCQ Linux Project member.....

Gopi deals with Linux systems ranging from 1993 hand-crafted systems all
the way to the most current distributions. If there is even a *potential*
problem with *any* version of GNU tar (which is *the* tar that ships with
Linux), he needs to know about it, figure out the fix and inform the
system admins who depend on him for this about it.

*Now* examine your "administrative" message to him again in this context.

I have posted guidelines about this syndrome in the past (check the
archives) - please leave any moderation or "correction" to the list
admins. If something seems "off topic", either ignore it, or complain to
the list admin in private.

"Administrative" messages like this which try to put someone in his place
or "correct" him will invariably cause problems or cause bad blood or
might even cause someone to leave the list. This is the reason why you see
so few of them even from the real list admins.

Note that I am not specifically picking on you, so don't errupt in flames
- you are by far not the only one who indulges in this sport, and I am
just using your message as an example to illustrate the problem.

It also does not mean that you have to keep quiet if you disagree with
someone on a point - *that* is the kind of discussion the list encourages.
For example, watch how several select personalities will now take off on
me for *this* message! ;-)

Atul