Re: [LI] GNU tar-1.11.8 - y2k !?

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Sachin Garg wrote:

->I guess Gopi knows that as well as any other person. I feel one should
->look at the antecedents of who the person is, before slinging such
->caustic comments. The list may not be a Solaris list, but it
->definitely is a Unix list!
->

I am fully aware that Solaris is Unix and all the unix machines run GNU
software, which I am using for the last 11 years.  Please don't take my
remark as a flame, and certainly not a causic/harsh comment. Since I also
know that GNU utilities are available, but compilations to different unices
may differ, and also the version numbers do not mean the same thing across
the OS.

I infact I want to know whether the problem is generic or solaris specific.
I have been using tar after the date has rolled over many times, took
backups also, faced no problems.  I am using GNU tar 1.12.

Gopi, if you took it as a flame, I am sorry.

Nagarjuna