Re: [LI] Query - multiple identities using Mutt

On Sun, Dec 26, 1999 at 10:21:24AM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Hassle - I have several mail ids forwarding to my actual VSNL acct.
> Pegasus Mail for Windows was fantastic at handling this sort of stuff.
> How do you do the same in Pine?

Try Procmail.

> Like I said, I prefer mutt.  However, it sends mail as
> suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (my hostname) which is obviously bogus.
>
> How do I set .muttrc to snip the suresh subdomain out of the from field,
> and how do I handle multiple identities in Mutt?

Your from address is specified in the "From:" field in the header of the
mail you compose.  Simply put in your own "From:" field with

my_hdr From: Your Good Name <username@hostname>

This will suffice if all you need is a single e-mail ID for all your
outgoing mail. Mutt can do more than that :-)

I use send-hooks to change my e-mail id depending on the destination
address. Thus all mail to this list gets one address, all mail to
Linux-India-General gets another address, and so on. If an address does
not match any of the predefined addresses, the 'From' address defaults
to yet another email id.

Snipping from my .muttrc

<quote>
send-hook . 'my_hdr From: Manoj Victor Mathew <mvm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>'
send-hook linux-india@ 'my_hdr From: Manoj Victor Mathew <manoj_vm@xxxxxxxxx>'
send-hook linux-india-general@ 'my_hdr From: Manoj Victor Mathew <mvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>'
</quote>

Actually you can specify multiple commands (separated by semi-colon) in
each send-hook. I use this feature to specify different signatures, and
also different 'record' folders. Search the Mutt docs for more info on
send-hook.

Also in Mutt, before you press 'y' to send mail, you can press 'Esc-f'
to enter any email id as your "From:" address.

HTH.
--
Do you support 'free software'?  Visit http://mvm.linuxbox.com
Visit the ILUG-Cochin home page at http://www.netshooter.com/ilug-cochin