Re: [LI] Installing linux...

Hello Bala,
	I've asked this question earlier on the list and found a very good
response. So I hope those responses might help u.

1. On the machine with CD drive, call it machine A, enable anonymous FTP.
2. Make the directory /home/ftp/pub
3. Mount the RH CD there - ie, with the command
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /home/ftp/pub
(replace hdc with your CD device).
4. Copy the file /home/ftp/pub/RedHat/instimgs/bootnet.img onto a _fresh_
floppy using
dd if=/home/ftp/pub/redHat/instimgs/bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0
5. Use this floppy to boot the machine without CD drive - let us say
machine B.
6. It will ask for IP address and nameserver information. I had used DHCP.
7. Give the IP address of machine A and /pub as the directory when asked
for the FTP server's details.
8. Continue with the installation.

Note that this method of installation is recommended only over ethernet
because of the tremendous load it puts on the network. In particular,
don't even dream of trying it over PPP. I had checked netstat -A inet on
machine A, and there were about 50 FTP connections at any given time (even
though many were in FIN_WAIT1 state).

I dont thing the procedure is that damn long..;) ..
u can do nfs/ftp/http installation of 6.1 ...
create a boot floppy from the image bootnet.img by

dd if=boonet.img of=/dev/fd0 or u can use rawrite ..

mount the cd in remote machine as

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

now add the line in /etc/exports

/mnt/cdrom *(ro)

and restart the nfs server ..

now go to the machine where u want to install.
insert the bootfloppy .. change in bios to boot from floppy ..
u will be required to configure ur network card first ..
now u will be given three options nfs,ftp and http . choose nfs
then u have to give the ip no of the machine where u have the cdrom
mounted .. and in the path field give /mnt/cdrom . .rest is as usual ..

Yes it is definitly possible to install linux over the network .. I
installed Suse 6.2 the same way .. Infact u can install ur linux either
via NFS or FTP .. Choose which ever is convinient for u .. I chose to go
via the NFS way for i had a unix server waiting to be used ..But that is
not essential .. U can install a ftp server on ur Win 95 machine and do a
FTP install .I am sure Red Hat will offer u the same functionalities . I
will detail the SuSE process , map it to Red Hat linux

1.  Make the boot and root floppies using the provided tools and
readme files
2.  Copy a file called modules on to a floppy using rawrite utility (
this is needed to load modules for ur network card and make it functional)
3.  Put the linux cd on to a server and decide whether u want to do a
NFS install or a FTP one..
4.  Start the installation by booting from the boot floppy .. After
some time it will prompt u for a the installation medium .. Select the
installation method u chose (NFS or FTP) .. On the basis of ur choice u
will be required to give some more details such as ur server , login ,
passwd etc.. Its also useful to have ur server ip address and ur IP address
handy when starting such a installation REally installing thru a network
is really cool (if not for anything else u learn how to do a NFS mount or
setup FTP as in my case)

BYE,
VIVEK.

IIIT-HYDERABAD.        		`-(*)-----(*)'
vivek@xxxxxxxx		"My Hardware runs better without windows"
		A problem is an opportunity in work clothes.
						-Henry J. Kaiser